Industrial Material Handling Trucks
These types of trucks refer to the various kinds of transport items and vehicles used to relocate products and materials. These devices of transportation may include pallet jacks, hand-operated trucks, and various kinds of forklifts. These types of trucks have various characteristics that make them suitable for numerous operations. Certain trucks have forks (forklift), some have a flat surface for lifting items, while others require a separate piece of equipment for loading. These material handling trucks as well can be manual or hydraulic lift, and operation can require the user to manually push the truck or ride along on the truck. As the name implies, a stack truck is used to stack items, while a non-stack truck is more so used for transportation.
Different kinds of industrial material handling trucks include:
• Hand trucks: A basic piece of material handling equipment featuring a small platform for setting the edge of a heavy object on, and a long handle for leverage.
• Pallet trucks: Otherwise known as pallet jacks, this type of truck is made specifically for moving pallets. They have forks that slide into a pallet to lift and move it. There are both manual and electrical versions of pallet trucks.
• Platform trucks: Fitted with a wide platform for transporting goods, these hand trucks sit low to the ground for easy transportation of small to medium sized items.
• Walkie stackers: Like a forklift, walkie stackers lift and transport pallets, though without the space for an operator to ride in. These also come in manual or powered versions.
• Order pickers: To retrieve or store goods on high shelves, order pickers lift the operator on a platform, several feet above the ground.
• Sideloaders: Also known as sidelifters or VNA (Very Narrow Aisle) trucks, they are meant to fit into the narrow aisles of a warehouse since they can load objects from different directions. Sideloaders are also good for long or awkward products that need to be moved.
• AGVs: Many types of automatic guided vehicles shuttle products automatically along a route.